"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Do you have an "ah"ccent?

I have traveled a bit in the past 3 years all across the country. I have heard many accents! When I was in Massachusetts it was such a shock to hear these new inflections given to old words that I felt like I must be in a different country listening to a foreign language. Massholes (which goes into a whole other facet of the East Coast experience - and is a term taught to me by my friend Barb) put r's in places that aren't there for the rest of the country - such as aorta - it's a term I hear several times a day - in the east it's pronounced aorter, idea is idear, deer......ah, it's dea. Anywhere I have traveled people always ask where I come from (even here in Texas it's a common question) and when I tell them I'm from the Lone Star State (and proud of it) it always surprises the questioner and they always say "But you don't have an accent". I guess it would be fun to have an accent that binds you with your community and gives a hint to others your origin. Anyway, I thought this quiz was kinda fun and reminded me of all the different accents I encountered on the road.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The West
The South
The Inland North
Philadelphia
Boston
The Northeast
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

2 comments:

Carol said...

I have a southern accent. I knew that I used to have a southern accent, but thought not so much anymore, but... guess I still do.

Bocephus said...

I new I shood ha bin an actor. Im midland.