"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Changed the title to: PLEASE don't tell my grandma

Listen to what happened to me yesterday morning! I had a case that didn't start until 10am so I decided it was the perfect oppurtunity to walk around Town Lake before work. I waited until 7am when it was light outside and started down the trail. There were several people out jogging and walking, not as much as in the afternoon, but plenty to make me feel safe. I took the hour long route and was about 30 minutes in when I met a guy walking the other direction. I noticed him because he was in jeans and a jacket and was obviously not walking for fitness. On I walk, with headphones in my ears and my hood pulled over my head because it had started to sprinkle, when I hear footsteps in the gravel behind me. I noted that it was a walker and not a runner which irritated me because I try to keep a fast enough pace not to be passed by a walker. But nobody passed me and I thought I had sped up enough until I heard it again but this time the footsteps were more of a jogging pace. But STILL nobody passed me so I decided maybe I should turn around and check out what was going on. I turned a little to my left and the guy I had passed earlier in jeans was RIGHT behind me - arms length away. I startled him, he startled me and he started jogging away. "WHAT THE $%*@ are you doing?" I yelled and he ran away even faster. My only thought is he must have been trying to snatch my ipod which was in my right front pants pocket.
I have heard the advice before: always be aware of your surroundings, carry mace, look people in the eyes etc.... and for the most part I do those things but this just goes to show that no matter where you are or what you are doing you really need to be conscious.
I don't write this to scare anyone or to cause anyone to worry. Really, it was a very ridiculous situation with this little pipsqueak trying to sneak up behind me and then to run away. But I will definitely be using a little more caution from here on out.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Oh my gosh, Jocelyne. That is kind of scarey. I'm so glad you turned around and scared him off before he did anything. What a jerk. You be careful!

Bocephus said...

Joce, Im telling MaMa. Ha. You need to take Karate. Kick em in the gahones.

Anonymous said...

hi joce, corbin

Anonymous said...

Now Jocelyne if you would have just followed my safety tips none of this ever would have happened. There are a lot of weirdos in this world JOcelyne and you need to be careful.

Love MawMaw

Mason said...

Haha I can definitely see you yelling "What the $%*@ are you doing?!"

Hey Mawmaw