"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

Saturday, April 28, 2007

It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon and I'm blogging about a table......

As the title suggests it is a gorgeous and sunny Saturday. You may wonder why I am inside chronicling something as boring as my kitchen table on a day like today. Well, two reasons. First I was on call last night and had to go in at 12:30am to do a case that lasted until 9:30 this morning. It was horrible - let me tell you. Having a career that requires call is a nuisance at best. You all know how much I love this new job and consider myself lucky every morning I wake up and get to go work with this group. However, it takes over your life to some degree no matter how much you try to make sure it doesn't. You can't plan anything - a simple weekend getaway or a night out with friends loses it spontaneity when you have to check the calendar and try to trade days with a co-worker, sometimes stooping to bribing or guilting them into taking your call. And like today - I'm not on call - I should be enjoying myself and the cool things going on this city as I had planned instead I'm recovering from an all nighter.

Second, concerning the table, I am so proud and happy to finally have this done. You may recall that when I first moved to Austin I spent a large amount of time refinishing the furniture that I brought to decorate my apartment.
I put many woman hours into the little wooden table I want to use for kitchen/dining. I stripped it not once but twice, sanded allll the little nooks and crannies with my new power sander and I painted it a cranberry red. A red that goes with NOTHING in my decor. I have stared at this table for the past 5 months and wondered what I could do with it to make it better. I spent weekends dragging friends around to Goodwill and antique stores looking for just the right chairs but couldn't make a decision, much to their chagrin. (they are troopers - i love them) But finally after tearing it apart one more time, sanding allllll the little nooks and crannies again (couldn't bring myself to strip it), stealing some cream paint from a previous renter and coating the little table with 3 coats and then using brown accent paint and finally just these past two days putting a coat of clear varnish on it a dining area is born.




It is so nice to have a place to call my own (sorta) and be able to decorate and make mine. I missed that a lot in the last couple of years and maybe THAT's why this table is such a big deal to me.
Nap time for me! Have a great weekend.