"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

Monday, February 15, 2010

One week down in Ghana



Well, it's been a little over a week and I still haven't figured out how to get my pictures uploaded. My little computer and the African internet are not friends I guess. It's a shame because I have some absolutely amazing things to show you guys.

It's been a very hard week for everyone. We are working on such sick patients with so little of the conveniences we take for granted in our respective countries. To our credit the things we have done with what we've brought is incredible. On the other hand, I'm struggling with the thought that perhaps we are overstretching our abilities and could almost be leaning towards doing a disservice to the Ghanaian people. I don't really believe that, I guess, I've been able to meet all of our patients and we've developed a close bond with them and to see that we will ultimately extend their lives is so fulfilling.

I am going so stir crazy here in the hotel. Most of the week has been a bus from the hotel to the hospital, work for 10 hours then bus back to the hotel to eat, drink and fall into the hardest bed imaginable. One night we had a group dinner at an Indian restaurant and then went to a real "disco club" where some people let off some steam on the dance floor. Not me!

Last night we had a case until midnight and it was agreed that today we would not operate until we were quite sure that everyone would be okay. I took the chance to get out of the hospital and went with a group to the orphanage. What an amazing day. When I first got into the gates I walked over to a building to take a tour and about 6 little black boys in the same uniform (navy shorts and a navy gingham shirt) ran out to meet us. One ran ahead of the others and for one reason or other ran right up to me and into my arms for a hug. I started filling out adoption papers right away! Then they all wanted hugs and they would stand around us yelling "obruni obruni" which means white person. We worked most of the afternoon in the baby girl's ward. We gave them baths and put new clean diapers on them and then put them down for naps. Then I and another girl took trash sacks out to the playgrounds and picked up trash. One little boy came and wanted to help so he lugged the sack around for me. Mind you, he was probably about 5 years old and he had an old terrycloth belt wrapped around his head twice as a sort of headband. He indicated (because he never spoke to me) that he'd show me where to take the trash so I followed him and the sack to a big smoking pile of trash they were burning and he and another boy climbed on the pile to unload the sack. I understand now why I see so many people in the burn units at the hospital and it makes me sick that these kids are working so close to the fires. But, as we've said often this week when there is just no other explanation "It's the Ghanaian way"
Four of us snuck out tonight and took a taxi to a restaurant. They are very overbearing on our whereabouts here and it was so rebellious to go out on the town. I had a blast. I was also able to go to a market and pick up some great souvenirs and I ate a fresh coconut from a fruit stand. Delicious.
Good night guys. Tomorrow, we do our last surgery and it will be a very difficult patient. He is 16 with severe mitral stenosis. When the operating is done we will pack up all the supplies we brought and that were left here from last year and store them in the hospital for the next mission. I am not looking forward to that work - bt then perhaps we'll have lighter schedules and can see some more of the area. And then, I have vacation time on the beach! I have completely forgotten that I'll be taking that trip because life here is so intense.
More soon - and someday pictures!
love
ps - ok so i got a few pictures to upload! The surgical picture shows me backing up my Ghana counterpart, Stella as she learns how to do cardiac surgery. The other is of some of the boys at the orphanage at playtime!

4 comments:

Mamaw 28 said...

You are an amazing you lady! God is using you in a mighty way for the benefit of others. Stay safe.

bokizziar said...

That is so neat that you are able to help those folks. You make me very proud. Can't waite to see more pictures and here all the stories. Will your son come back with you on the plane. Carol can send money if needed for the adoption process and ticket.

Carol said...

I'm proud of you too! And it was so good to talk to you. Love the pictures. Keep em' coming when you can.

barbarageller said...

J....
AWESOME!!! Sounds like you are having a remarkable experience...
Can't wait to catch up...
I am PROUD of you!!! Barbara