"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Reporting live from Washington

I know it has been awhile since my last post and that those of you who do read my blog are wondering what is going on in the new place. But the only thing I can report on is Rain, rain and more rain. It really hampers extracuricular activities - and totally rules out any great picture taking. I do have a few pictures - but I'm not really happy with them. I will post them in a second. The thing is once in a great while - the clouds and fog will clear and I will see landscape of such beauty - but wouldn't you know it - i don't have my camera on me. So, I will try harder to bring it with me.

The first week or so of an assignment is so hard as I've said before. It's a strange limbo stage where you don't know where to start exploring first. But what's harder is work. You don't know where ANYTHING is - important things, like the bathroom or certain instruments or supplies. You don't know the people, you aren't sure of your place. You see people in the halls and you don't know their names. You probably met them on the first day but everyone looks similiar in their scrubs and hats. You feel like such an outsider. That said - toward the end of the first week you have an idea of whether you are going to eventually fit in and like the environment or completely loath the remaining 12 weeks. And I can tell that I am going to enjoy working in this hospital and that when I finally get to go places and experience the Pacific Northwest it will be a magnificent time. That is what I'm waiting for - for limbo to make way for the good times.

I have been struck by the general easy goingness of the area - the friendliness of the people - the cultural diversity. I've had the greatest conversations with the cable guy, the mailman, the people I met yesterday at my hospital orientation. They have a way of making clumsy small talk non-exististent and instead take it to another level well short of a TMI (too much information). Most people have readily offered a lot of good information on the area. I like it!

No comments: